We were having what we thought would be a "typical" fall month, until the flooding began... We had massive flooding throughout the state, were trapped in our homes for nearly two weeks due to the water and are still working to repair damage from the flood but thankfully we made it through. We learned a lot about our community, worked with several neighboring relief agencies and watched the community come together as one for the first time in quiet awhile.
October has also been the awareness month for many groups. These groups include breast cancer, domestic violence and families affected by pregnancy and infant loss. This month, we worked to promote awareness for the topic so very dear to my own heart, pregnancy and infant loss.
Why do we need to remember and raise awareness, you ask?
- Each year in the United States, there are 6 million pregnancies.
- Of these 6 million, nearly 2 million pregnancies are lost.
- For every two pregnancies, 1 of those babies won’t live past two months of age after birth.
- Each year in the United States:
- 6,000 pregnancies result in molar pregnancy.
- 26,000 pregnancies result in stillbirth.
- The equivalent of 70 stillbirths EACH day
- Every 20 minutes, a stillborn baby is born.
- Many stillborns occur after a perfectly normal pregnancy
- 15% of stillbirths occur during labor/delivery
- More than half of all stillbirths occur within the 3rd trimester of pregnancy.
- 64,000 pregnancies result in ectopic pregnancy.
- 600,000 pregnancies result in miscarriage.
- Every day 1644 miscarriages occur.
- 1,200,000 pregnancies are terminated.
On October 15, 2015, we held a candle lighting and balloon release in honor of Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness day, which occurs annually on October 15th. The pictures you see scrolling below are pictures from that event. A local news station came to visit the day before our event, here is the link: http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/30262358/drs-over-a-million-fetuses-lost-every-year-why-october-is-their-month-of-remembrance.
One last thing we've started during the month of October is our "Love Steps Forward" program. Healing Grace Childbirth Services provides support to families affected by loss free of charge to families we serve. The complete costs of helping families affected by loss are supported through other facets of the business and through love offerings generously provided by clients who wish to pay it forward or donate in honor of a loved one. If you'd like the chance to pay it forward, here's how you can do so: http://healinggracebirthsupport.com/love-steps-forward.html
As we come to the end of October, let us not forget our babies, let us not stop sharing the awareness but let's keep up the work all year of bringing awareness to those who may not know how people and families are affected by pregnancy and infant loss. This month has been a great, but hectic one. We're moving on to planning a silent auction (more to come on this later), raising funds to donate cuddlecots to local hospitals, and yes, yes, yes, getting ready for the holiday season!! We're looking forward to what the last few months of the year will bring!