Years later, in 2002, a small group of bereaved mothers worked to promote awareness for pregnancy and infant loss. Together, they succeeded in having the day, October 15th named as Pregnancy and infant Loss awareness day.
On October 15th, we host a local gathering to honor our babies and light a candle in their memory. See more about our event here.
Each year in the United states, there are 6 million pregnancies. Of these 6 million, nearly 2 million pregnancies are lost.
For every two pregnancies, 1 of those babies won't live past two months of age.
Each year in the United states:
6000 pregnancies result in molar pregnancies
26000 pregnancies result in stillbirth.
- The equivalent of 70 stillbirthday EACH day
- Every 20 minutes, a stillborn baby is born.
- Many stillbirthday occur after a perfectly normal pregnancy
- 15% of stillbirthday occurs during labor/delivery
- More than half of all stillbirths occur within the 3rd trimester of pregnancy
600000 pregnancies result in miscarriage
- Every day 1644 miscarriages occur
Pregnancy and infant loss is REAL and more than likely you know someone who has been affected personally by loss. Every birth matters. Every birth deserves to be recognized, honored and remembered.